Saturday 24 March 2012

Poetry

This term we have been studying poetry.  We began by looking at rhyming words through a variety of games and activities and examples in Dr Suess' books.  We recited simple poems and cut up the sentences and reconstructed them on many occasions. We learn a poem called Four Little Fishes and studied the rhyming patterns and the amount of syllables on each line.  The class were asked to insert another suitable sea creature into each verse with the same amount of syllables.  Some examples were; sea snakes, blue whale, dolphin, mermaids, black eel and clown fish.  The children did well on this assessment on the whole.  Our last culminating activity was to attempt to alter the poem to make a new text.  They had to be very careful to keep the rhyme and the syllables the same.  Most children successfully rewrote the first verse.  Several budding poets rewrote the whole poem.  Here are some example of their work.



**********


**********


***********


**********


**********



**********



  I am very proud of all the student's efforts in their poetry work.  Ms Taylor

8 comments:

  1. Dear children and Mrs Taylor--well, what can I say?! I really like your poems!
    Luka, that was an interesting detail--the leopard.
    It's the last week in this term--what have you got planned for this week, apart from tidying up and studying hard?

    Regards,
    Veronika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronika, we are not cleaning up yet. We have been very busy learning our part for the Easter Liturgy on Friday. We have begun two digit addition sums in maths and are working in pairs to represent the numbers with MAB blocks to help us. We are still learning and enjoying a Roald Dahl book called the Twits. In Religion we are using Resurrection Eggs to learn about the Easter Story. Luka should bring them home for Easter to share the story with you. We still have lots to do. Swimming finished today so we have a little more time, thank goodness. Ms Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Hannah B.'s, the one about the rebel fighters. It is really funny. by Luka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ms Taylor,
    Today I saw what your class was making and it looked really good.
    My favourite thing on your blog is the easter background and I think that the eggs that are dropping are really COOL! How did you do that?
    I liked the puppy poem Hannah.The goo bit was funny. I hope my puppy doesn't get into some goo because Dad would have to clipper him again!
    Love from,
    Beth in 2A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geordan, your poem was really funny and I really enjoyed reading it! You did a great job love from aunty toula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi 2B,
    I loved your poems they were all great but my favorite one was Geordan's. I liked the bit about the bomb it made it different from all the others and it was funny.
    From,
    Olivia 2A

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just checked the voting and the same amount of people like white chocolate as Lindt.I thought that more people would like the brown chocolate.
    From Callum

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so clever at poetry 2B! I relly enjoyed the way you made some words rhyme. Maybe you could teach the Year 1 children how to do rhyming words!!from Mrs Spillane

    ReplyDelete